Newspaper Archive of
The Clarendon Enterprise
Clarendon, Texas
Lyft
June 30, 1994     The Clarendon Enterprise
PAGE 9     (9 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 9     (9 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 30, 1994
 

Newspaper Archive of The Clarendon Enterprise produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




June 30, 1994 bt lartnbsn tlsj on Townsite Moved To Railroad In 1887 Clarendon Press, Centennial Edidon, June 29, 1978 after Saint's Roost Clarendon) became a the steel rails their way into Donley missing the frontier com- r five miles. However, the resolved that gnatty by voting four to one to townsite to the railroad. So, a meeting of "the town and R.E. Montgomery, City Railroad, was held in Roost Court House in of 1887. Morris Rosen- Was chosen to purchase the of land lying five miles of Old Clarendon and t of the railroad. Of this pur- made in the name of B.H. 160 acres were to be the pus- and freight depot, the and machinery The remainder of the was to be set aside for Who wanted to move to the location, designated as ' of The Town Lot Co. section of land in clues- , J.C. Phillips, but wouldn't sell to "those Yankees", Rosenfield and the property from and, in turn, sold it Thus, the town" of Clarendon became of The Ft. Worth & R.R. to celebrate the of this agreement, a Spike Ceremony was 1887. Now lumber was hauled from m 1888 to build the first in Amarillo. George F. Morgan to Clarendon as an employee Clarendon was "a There were only three houses and one frame in the new settlement. the stores, and the were in tents so the up as depot did of place. people of English land in and around in an early day. So, it " that some of the Were named for English- The main street in the busl- )f the town was named for Count Cecil Kear- of an English land of which the Claren- & Land Agency a branch. Also, Sir John t Gorst and Gem Alfxed Sully :New as his home) were con- ith that English land com- , there was and is a Gorst a Sully Street in Claren- Uther streets recall early day such as Goodnight, Car- Jefferson Koogle, Allen Collinson, White, and mlaeets. Lanham Street is so for Ex-Governor S.W.T. who was at the time of of new Clarendon Panhandle of bought the hardware department of the Wood Mercantile Em- porium in 1890 and, in one month of the early 90's, Taylor averaged selling a carload of barbed wire a day from his store. He and his son, Walter, married Minnie Beverly, and for several years was a clerk and cashier in The first National Bank of Clarendon. An interesting sidelight on the Taylor & Son Hdwe. Co. is the fact that the Winchester rifle of the train-rob- bing Black Jack Ketchum was bought in Clarendon. By investiga- tion, it was ascertained that Ketchum's gun was shipped with four others and a thousand rounds of ammunition to the Clarendon store. Messers Andy Jackson and William F. Fleming were the first to open a Pool Hall and refreshment shop but soon discovered the taste in the area was for hard liquor rather than soft drinks. So, they hurriedly converted their ice cream parlor into a saloon, only to be voted out of business in due time by the Christian element, thereafter, their 25 by 50 boot building was used for a church with a wagon sheet hiding the bar and Rev. JJ. Cooper as pastor. Faun Bartlett ran the wagon yard, Jim Burdick was the blacksmith, and Ed Corbett had a boot shop. Harper & Mann operated the first photo gallery in Clarendon in 1895. Homer Mulkey was another early day photographer, as was a Mr. Bartlett. Adie Hill and Walter Hall by way of survey, found there were 200 residences, 6 churches, 47 business houses, and 45 windmills in Clarendon in 1898. "The Industrial West," begun in 1898, was the new sheet from 1898 until it was purchased by W.P. Blake in 1903 and the name changed to The Clarendon Chronicle. It so continued under that "masthead" until AM. Beville became the owner in 1910 and changed the name to The Claren- don News. Mr. Beville also had an insurance business and his wife, Etta Kimberfin Beville, had a rail- finery and ladies-to wear store. railroad reached vicinity, a tent en- sprang up along the permanent dwell- be constructed. The Hill" segnent of the vii- mostly girh, gamblers, With the moving town, even before frame were constructed, and coming of the shops and workers (without the of the original founders), were otmued and did a business until the "town shut them down to make for a Methodist businessmen were the establish themselves in the W.H. Patrick and were real estate The first rock building on the east side of the of Kearuey. The first was The First Na- (1900). But, perhaps the most appreciated ,intheuew was the wholesale and store owned by earned Woods. Now Mr. I didn,t have room in his one- SO left in the box-car in ' had arrived. The ranch Would come from miles supplies. They would the car and load on and other provisions, to run for as long as six 1890's was a decade of progress for the lately mettlement of Clarendon Henry Taylor In "The Gay Nineties"? in Clarendon too, there was an Eyler Hotel The Windsor Hotel a pala- tied frame structure, built in 1887, on the corner of Front and Kearney streets burned in 1892. To further substantiate the fact that Clarendon was a prosperous community by the turn of the century, some of the adver- tisers in the Industrial West Newspaper were J.S. Morris, M.D.; SJ. White, M.D., AJI. Beville, Land Agent; E. Corbett, Boot- maker;, I.W. Carhart, Real Estate; D.E. Humphrey & co., W'mdmills; W.P. Blake, Notary Public; Fulton's Market, Choice Beef; Robert Sawyer, Lumber; Morris Rosenfield, Dry Goods; Citizen's Bank; Ramsey Drug, W.T. Jones, General Store; Buntin & Baker livery Stable in 1900, I.W. Carhart, father of Henry Lewis Carhart, was mayor of Clarendon in 1903. The Twentieth Century dawned and found the County Seat of Donley County taking on a more permanent appearance. Lumber was being shipped in and the tent town was disappearing. Not all the buildings, however, were made of lumber as the first picture show was built by Homer Mulkey along the raikoad right-of-way of corrigated iron. That was the time before "the flickers" came into being but there were pictures. And the "piped-in music" was a cylinder record player with a morning glory horn operated by a small boy winding the machine and changing the records. In due time, Homer Mulkey had a theatre up town on Kearney Street, with Mrs. Mulkey selling tickets. Lee Bell was projectionist from 1936 until Mr. Mulkey's death in 1941. Then, he managed the show for Mrs. Mulkey until she sold it to Gary Barnhill in 1960. Next door was The Pastime Confec- tionery, owned by George B. Bagby St. and operated by his sons, George Jr. and Sheldon. Still another ice-cream parlor, The Ben ton, was owned and run by Floyd (Lump) Lumpkin, and according to Edna Smith, he could make the best tongue sandwiches in the world. "PAINTING-REFINISHING-CATERING" ANY ODD JOBS-LARGE OR SMAI AMIGA'S DOES MORE SANDRA LONGAN (s000s74-3419 Thelma's Shoppe Five New Shipments d /, Wrap Skirts, Camp Shirts, Top s, S kort0000oV00ts:s, Pants & O00Oeol * 928 W. 5th0Slext to Clarendon School) 874-2649 s# Furniture & Appliances Come Check Out Our Fabulous Furniture! l 214 S. Ke00ey 874-3412 Page 9 faced and, in due time, the new school college and the city library. settlement became a cultural and Clarendon has a mayor/city By 1909, Thomas Moran was running a livery-stable and feed business and he made it his busi- ness to meet all trains with his hack. H.C. Kerbow had a hardware store and Fred W. Rathjen had a shoe shop. JaM. Capehart was the pop corn vender and S.D. Parks operated a tailoring b-iness. B.T. Lane had been owner of a Buggy & Implement Co. since 1903. At one time, he unloaded a car of beggies and both sides of Kearuey Street were so fined with the shiny, new vehicles it looked as if he were fixing for a street Fair. After Char- lie Bennett and Frank Martin sold their Martin-Benuett Dry Goods Store,, Bennett had a grocery store in early-day Clarendon. Besides the Stocking Drug (estab. 1885), J.A. McKi]Iop had a drug store on Kearney. H.D. Ram- sey was another early-day druggist (1880-1895). Many of the aforementioned merchants and professional men continued in business into the thirties. Ralph Jefferson and his brother-in-law, CJ. Lewis, father of Will Lewis, had a store in the newlocation. Mr. Lewis had had his Post Office and dry goods on one side of the em- porium and Ralph had his grocery stock on the other side of the store. They took turns as Postmaster. There were two newspapers in Clarendon in 1890, "The Jour- nal" and "The Chronicle". In the late 90's, there was an agitation to locate a college in Clarendon, but the church people were opposed to having a college of higher learning in a town full of saloons and gain- bring "dens of iniquity." At that time, Frank Kendall and M. Beville published a small paper, "The Agitator," to campaign for Claren- don as a college town. In the end, the saloons were closed and the college located there. Ed Carhart, a nephew of Henry Lewis Carhart, was the first newspaper editor in Saint's Roost. At first, the County Seat of Clarendon, after being moved to the railroad and with the influx of railroaders, had taken on a wild and western air. Open saloons and houses of ill fame flourished but this situation didn't last long. With the building of churches and St. Mary's Academy, the Christian spirit of the original colony sur- educational center. The saloons were closed and the original policy of "temperance, education, and Christianity" prevailed. Clarendon still depends on farming and ranching for its growth, the college and govern- ment offices contributed greatly to it's financial growth. Clarendon has many civic or- ganizations, an active Chamber of Commerce, and almost all denomination of churches. It is the oldest surviving town in the Pan- handle. It has the oldest Junior Col- lege, Methodist, Catholic, and Episcopal churches. There are council type of government, and the law enforcement is provided by the county sheriff's office. There over 100 businesses in Clarendon, and a major Texas highway (287) runs through the center of town. The Texas Highway Department estimates there are approximately 9,000 cars pass through the city on any given day. Many pioneer names may still be found in the telephone book as many descendants of these pioneer families still live in Claren- don or Donley County. Clarendon is a quiet and peaceful little city with 2,240 three libraries, one at the high friendly citizens. I:1| Happy4th From l[ll00l Salon 306 00tllj \\;\Owner:. DonnaKnorpp // lllln 18.. ,..-., 874-5118 .'/ llll n.l00.400mcmmm + ' ,,'79 Is 9 Pettv's t0000atiques t q en+Ilieb-Amtritan 00urniturt 00etterp & Jllutb More Lagamaps Welcome! Haue o Happy & Safe 4th uly! 222 S. Keurney Clarendon 874-3875 's Automotive Supplv d m Parts Plus ouFosForq00 Prices good through July 10,1994 Have A Safe 4th of July! 120W. 3rd kWWW 874-2755